Saturday, January 17, 2015

Body Pump with Kamesha - She warned me she was bringing her game face (January 8, 2015)

Everyone says it is a small world, but I think that is a gross understatement.  The world is basically a tiny nugget.  Just ask that former coworker you hated that is now dating your cousin, or that weird guy you went on one date with three years ago who now works three cubicles away from you.  I am not sure if it is due to overcrowding or the internet, but the degrees of separation have dwindled down to roughly two (sorry, Kevin Bacon). This small world is how I ended up in Kamesha's Body Pump class.

In 2009, I was too old to be going on spring break, but too young to realize that was the case. Luckily, I had some good company.  Myself and a few other fine gals decided to go on a cruise to the Bahamas.  My friend Marisa brought her friend Kamesha.

The first day on the ship, I was on the elevator with my friend Gabby.  I noticed two kids wearing JMU t-shirts.  I, being friendly, said hello and mentioned that I went to JMU.  They asked when I graduated, and I told them.  One kid turned to his friend and said "dude, we were in middle school."  He was attempting to whisper, but he was drunk, so it was more likely a voice-crackling bellow.  My friend Gabby just looked at him and said, "you realize that we can hear you?"  Anyhow, that is when I learned I was too old for spring break (in other small world news, that whisper failing kid went on to marry my dear friend's youngest sister...seriously world...grow a little).

Despite being old enough to babysit the rest of the ship, the trip was a good time.  Like most random people you spring break with, Kamesha and I became Facebook friends, and we passed along like ships in the night.  At that time, I lived in Williamsburg, Virginia, and she lived somewhere in Maryland.

Fast forward a few years.  I am not sure who was Facebook stalking who, but I think it had something to do with Kristin's wedding picture on Facebook.  Either my friend Kristin, who lives in Rockville, mentioned that she thought I knew her fitness instructor, or maybe Kamesha messaged me asking if I knew her student.  I can't remember at this point, but either way, Kristin, my dear friend from middle school, was taking Kamesha's fitness classes at Gold's Gym (apparently, Kamesha had become a fitness instructor since we did our cruising).  They became friendly, and everyone kind of reconnected.

Now that you've had your history lesson, I will get into Body Pump.  I have wanted to take a class with Kamesha for quite some time, so I was very excited to take her Thursday evening Body Pump class.   Kristin was wonderful enough to let me be her guest at the Rockville Gold's Gym.

I walk into the gym, and I see Kristin and another instructor, Jody. Jody informs me that Kamesha is a terrifying instructor.  That made me a little nervous.  I have seen Kamesha's arms.  I knew she didn't get that strong screwing around, but I hoped that her muscle was not from crushing her students.

Kamesha was teaching a Les Mills Body Pump class. I love Les Mills classes. Les Mills always hires awesome instructors (like Kamesha), and the classes provide a regimented and efficient workout.  They also change up their routines every few weeks so that you don't get bored. Here is the description of Body Pump:  http://www.lesmills.com/workouts/fitness-classes/bodypump/

Kamesha told me before class that she was bringing her game face.  I suspect that she brings her game face every day.   Her class was packed wall-to-wall on a snowy day.  People were out in Arctic temperatures to work out with her!  You know you are a great instructor when people will drag themselves out after a long workday in the cold and darkness.  We grabbed our tools: a step, a weight lifting bar, a mat and some weight plates.  Time to get started!

I was confident that Kamesha would kick my ass, but I had no idea she would kick it so hard.  After chest presses and push-ups (so. many. push ups.), my chest was literally shaking, which was also impressive in itself because there is very little chest to shake.  In addition chest presses, we worked a little bit of everything else.  We did clean and presses, dead lifts, lunges, squats, etc.  Kamesha both worked out with us and talked us through the various exercises in great detail.  This helped us maintain appropriate form, which always makes for a better workout. Kamesha also intermittently sang her pretty stellar play list. She was only slightly scary, and only in that perfect instructor kind of way.  She wasn't so scary that you felt discouraged or intimidated.  She was just scary enough that you didn't want to disappoint her.  I am sure this perfect balance is one of the reasons that she has such a loyal following.

Of note, Kristin was on the other side of me banging out push-ups, and not on your knees push-ups like myself, like body builder push-ups.  Seriously, Kristin, are you human?  I guess she has taken Kamesha's class enough time to also have kick ass upper body strength.

I wish I lived closer to Kamesha's class.  I could take it every week, and then I would probably be able to perform feats of strength such as opening spaghetti sauce or moving my dog off of my spot in the bed.  Unfortunately, I do not, but I am very appreciative that I got a great workout in with Kamesha and Kristin.  Kamesha, thank you for being scary good at teaching fitness classes.  Kristin, thank you for letting me be your weak date.