Saturday, July 18, 2015

Reformers Pilates - Me vs. the Machines (April 9, 2015)

If you asked my friends, some would say I am punctual, while others would find that statement laughable.  That is because I believe punctuality is like a cocktail dress - sometimes it is appropriate/necessary, other times, it is totally superfluous.

For example, you must be on time for work (unless you hit the jackpot with your boss), you need to be on time for surprise parties (no one should be that asshole who arrives at the time of the guest of honor), and you should be on time to the doctor (even though we all know we won't be seen until at least a half an hour after your appointment time).

Then there are the times where being on time really isn't necessary.  Happy hours.  Though you probably want to get there right at 6, in the scheme of things, actually being punctual to throw back a few is not necessary.  Movies.  There will be at least 30 minutes of previews.  Use those minutes to finish up your dinner, or have your kids go pee one more time, or even drink that cocktail that you missed out on when you were 45 minutes late to happy hour the week before.

Exercise classes are a special beast because they fall somewhere in the middle.  Large group classes at big gyms are really easy to slip in and out of, so timeliness is not vital, but other classes are not so easy.  I learned this lesson the hard way in my Reformers class.

As mentioned in my previous post, I love Thrive Pilates, so I used my Classpass to sign up for a Reformers class.  Reformers classes involve the use of fancy machines (see to the right), so the classes are often very expensive.  If you enjoy Reformer classes, Classpass is a particularly great deal because it offers a few options.  Anyhow, I was going to the Falls Church location for the first time, and it was an early morning class, so I was a few minutes late.  I walked in to exactly 5 other women.  The instructor goes, "Kelly, I assume."  Awesome. Strong start, Kelly.

The instructor points out a machine to me (the only empty one, which was located directly in front of her). As I get on the machine I hear, "Kelly, is that you?"  I turn to see a girl I went to college with, Lucy.  Lucy is not your average bear. Lucy is superhuman.  She is a executive recruiter for a big, successful company, and she is the youngest member of the Board of Visitors at our alma mater, JMU (we are both mildly obsessed with being Dukes).  Basically, Lucy is bad ass.  Lucy and I had not seen each other in a few years, but we share a close, mutual friend.   So to sum up, I know Lucy well enough to be naturally intimidated by her awesomeness, but not well enough for her to understand that I am not some derelict who shows up late to things.  I was also not going to be impressing her with my Reformer skills.

You can see a picture of a Reformer machines above.  If someone traveled to the present day from the 1800s, they would no doubt assume the Reformer machine is some kind of torture machine we put traitors in while throwing tomatoes at them in the town square; however, they aren't as bad as they look.

You can get a full body workout with the Reformer, and it is easier on the joints than traditional weight lifting.  We sat on the carriage, which is the long black piece in the center that moves back and forth, and grabbed the bands at the front of the machine to perform bi
ceps curls.

The pulley system results in you moving all around the machine.  The action uses your body weight, but there are also springs that you adjust under the machine for each exercise to change the resistance.  In addition to performing curls and chest presses, you can also do a great lower body workout.  In one instance, we put our feet in the loops while laying on the carriage and did leg circles.  We also did a variety of squats and planks integrating the machine.

I found this workout difficult to articulate, so I included a video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvMN4qKSvdM.  Sometimes images speak much greater than words. I highly recommend trying out a Reformers class at least once.  Most studios will give you a discount for your first class.   Because you have to use special machines, the classes are usually small, which allows for individual attention.

Ironically, I saw Lucy the following Saturday at our mutual friend's birthday cycle class and brunch.  I was late (due to traffic), so perhaps I need to spruce up and wear my proverbial cocktail dress more often. Or, maybe I need to accept that I am a derelict.

P.S. Happy birthday, Yasmeen :)  That picture is of Liane and Yasmeen, actually both April babies.