Thursday, January 14, 2016

Flywheel - British guy and space pants, sign me up (July 5, 2015)

Between the hippie hangouts and my cameo as a lumberjack, I had failed to try out any new traditional workouts in two weeks. Needing to rectify this, I returned to the Classpass smorgasbord and signed up for Flywheel.
In addition to a great workout, which I will address momentarily, the cycling studio itself is located in a cool building in Dupont Circle.  It looks like it used to be an old movie theater. There is a small marquee in the front, and the cycling room itself is stadium-style seating.

Also, there is apparently a massive picture of a woman on a stationary bike that takes up the entire left side of the building.  I didn't realize this until I did a Google images search.  I still didn't believe I could have missed that huge image, but sure enough, there she was last Saturday when I took the time to look on my way into class. Call me Ms. Observant.

Flywheel is different from Zengo and the Soulcycle because there is no "dancing," but there is still the standard cycling with a five(ish) minute portion of light weight lifting.  What makes the class stand out is a small computer screen attached to the side each bike that is measures the rider's torque (resistance) and RPMs (speed).  These measurements combine to provide the cyclist a total power measurement.  This is helpful, at least for me, because it is much easier for me to understand that I am supposed to be biking at 90 RPMs.  I'm much fuzzier when it comes to the typical class instruction of  make "another quarter turn on the knob," or the subjective instruction to "sprint." The Flywheel classes are either 45 or 60 minutes.  My first Flywheel class was a 60 minute class on Saturday with Alex R.

In addition to a swoon-worthy accent, Alex provides an excellent workout.  He is encouraging without being in your face.  Some instructors are very loud and think that constantly yelling cliche phrases is the way to go, and that might get some people excited, but I like Alex's normal volume and consistent, but not constant, encouragement.

Speaking of loud, I'm writing this in a Panera and there is a girl across the restaurant talking so loudly that I can actually give you a verbatim snippet of her current bellows: "So, like, anytime? I think I'm going to sign up for a workshop. Like, anytime in March. Like, a whole weekend." She also is currently feeling a lot of things...things I should not know as a stranger on the other side of a restaurant.  I digress, back to delightful Alex and the Flywheel workout. 

The coolest thing about Flywheel is the that you can track your individual statistics.  When you register for your class you create an account, and when you check into your class the computer on your bike is monitored for the duration of the class.  Those RPM, torque and power totals are all recorded.  Following class, you can sign in online and you are provided with the results of your workout, which includes your average RPM, max RPM, total distance and total calorie burn, as well as some other statistics.   Even though my stats never really change, I find it really fun to check them out after class.
Image result for flywheel dc images
An added bonus for competitive folks are the two television screens at the front of the cycling studio showing the cyclists' power rankings. When you sign up for your class, you can opt to have your score on the board in front of the room.  If you do so, your power score will be put up on the screen...provided you are within the top ten highest scores for your gender.

 I'm not particularly competitive, as least as it relates to cycling, so I will probably refrain from ever using that option, but it is a great incentive for those who are more competitive. And regardless of whether you sign up to go on the board or not, I find that I try hard to keep up with those on the board, which improves my overall workout.  The competitive aspect has also allowed me to convince my boyfriend to go with me once in a while.  Though he also doesn't opt to go on the board, he gets satisfaction from the stats and the scoring system

Also, I think the class is space themed? Or, they just went through a period of time where they sold a lot of space pants.  I can't quite tell, but I did buy awesome space workout pants there.  See the picture of the space pants below...and my huge feet. You're welcome.

After leaving the class, I texted a few of my friends with Classpass to suggest Flywheel and specifically Alex R.'s class.  Apparently, I was way behind the ball.  The universal response I received was basically, "duh, of course we already go to the British dreamboat who offers a great workout."  Well, my apologies.  I have now also gone to Coco at Flywheel, who was also wonderful, but I tend to stick to Alex.  

Try out the class. Your shoe rental is included in the price of your class.  Though shoe rentals only cost a few dollars at other studios, it is still nice to not have to worry about paying when you arrive.  If you provide your shoe size when you sign up for the class, Flywheel will have your shoes waiting in a little cubby under your bike number (it is quite adorable).

Recently, I heard a two girls in a Zengo class discussing how they weren't fans of Flywheel because they found the class intimidating.  You may feel that way, but you should at least give it a shot.  For what it is worth, I do not find it intimidating.  I find the ability to track my numbers fun and interesting, and I do not feel like anyone in the room is trying to intimidate me through their performance.

Oh, and if you go, wear space pants (if you own them).  If space isn't actually their theme, I would like to push for it.  Seriously, the pants are too great.