Friday, October 31, 2014

MetroBarre - 1 inch is not 6 inches (October 12, 2014)

This week my workout adventure took place at a local "arts center" near my house.   My very sweet friend, Laura, was my victim this week.  She is always a trooper about trying things at the gym with me, and this week MetroBarre was on the docket.  Thank you, Laura.

I have participated in barre classes in the past, which I will discuss someday, but MetroBarre is a little different.

I actually asked the instructor to explain the difference between MetroBarre and traditional barre (not being an ass, just a genuine question).  The instructor explained that she mixed together all of her favorite workouts - barre, yoga and dance.  Basically, MetroBarre is different because the instructor can do whatever she wants.

The description online gives you a better idea of what the class entails: http://metropolitanarts.org/adult-dance-fitness/metrobarre/

 Barre workouts generally involve using light weights and squishy balls (see pictures) to perform very small movements. We are talking one-inch small. The MetroBarre instructor has a joke that she likes to say if you move too much.  "Oh, you think one inch is six inches?  Isn't your husband lucky."  Seriously, that joke never gets old.

These tiny movements are designed to tone your arms, legs, abs and butt (basically, every place you want tighter and lifted).  I think barre workouts are amazing and extremely hard.  MetroBarre is no exception.

 Even though she had no previous experience, Laura appeared to have a knack for MetroBarre.  These pictures are us just screwing around in the studio.  As you can see, even screwing around Laura still looks pretty graceful.  I, on the other hand, look like a mildly deranged bowler.

The only downfall to the very vague parameters of the MetroBarre class is that you are never quite sure what you are going to be doing.  For example, I described the class to Laura as involving tiny movements and yoga stretching, but tonight the instructor decided to incorporate mountain climbers.  I don't mind mountain climbers, but they don't really fall into the yoga, dance, or barre category.

Regardless, Laura and I had fun.  I am a big proponent of barre, especially MetroBarre. I like that they spice things up by incorporating some dance and yoga...and mountain climbers, and my ass always feels a little higher after I leave the class.  That feeling is probably just in my head and not reality, but regardless, I am satisfied.

The arts center is a really nice place to get a taste for barre because they allow you to try out your first workout for free. They also offer some reasonable packages.

It is an "arts center," and not a gym, so you have to be prepared for a lot of different things going on at any given time.  I have been a few times, and there are often dozens of 9-year-old ballerinas running around, which can be confusing when you arrive looking for a gym class (I was very confused the first time I went).  Also, I think there is a theater attached.  When I left last week, I am pretty sure I saw a middle-aged woman hotboxing in her car.  I am not sure if she was a dancer, actor, or an exercise enthusiast.  I suppose it does not matter because glaucoma patients are certainly allowed to participate in all of those activities...