Sunday, October 26, 2014

Running - I know that seems obvious (October 4, 2014)

I love summer.  However, I am at the age where every summer consists of lots of weddings and wedding activities.  Weddings are amazing for your heart and soul, and probably the consolation prize for no longer being in your early 20s.  You basically get to spend every weekend with friends and family partying and celebrating people you care about who have found happiness.  And even if you are spending the weekend with people you barely know watching two people make a questionable life choice, there is usually cake and a bar, so life isn't too bad.  This leads me to my only complaint about summer - it is hell on your workout regimen.  You are provided with an unlimited amount of high calorie sweets and cocktails, but usually travelling without access to your usual workout, or willpower.

This weekend, I found myself at a gorgeous fall wedding in New York City, watching an amazing and happy couple profess their love for each other...and drinking wine and pounding cupcakes.  I didn't need my Nutrition courses to know that my insides were going to hate me soon.  However, this weekend, I tried to be proactive, so I packed sneakers.

At first, while in my hotel, I looked up spin classes and boot camp classes in the city, and then I realized I was being ridiculous.  I really only needed the sneakers.  I was in a beautiful city on a time crunch.  I decided to run through Central Park.    

I am not a fast runner, but I like running.  I meander along at my 10 minute mile, and I am quite satisfied with that pace. The only exception is when a woman running while pushing two babies in a stroller flies by me.   That hurts a little. Regardless of speed, I know I am getting a great cardiovascular workout, and I can cover just slightly more ground than I can when I am walking.

Running is awesome for a number of reasons.  It is a workout that does not require equipment, and if you feel like doing races, there are always tons happening in cities all over the country on any given weekend.

Additionally, there are running groups in every city. I lived in Richmond briefly, and I attempted joining a running group.  I was never actually able to find them in the park (in hindsight, how was I supposed to know which runners were in the group), but I still get the trusty emails 5 years after I left that city.  Anyhow, that demonstrates one of the nice things about running.  I was still able to run.  Running isn't like tennis.  I can do it alone.   If I showed up to the tennis court, and there was no on the other side of the net, the workout would suck (and I wouldn't be able to play off not finding who I was looking for nearly as well).

This Runner's World link can give you a good idea of how many calories you can burn on a run. http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

I didn't know where I was going in Central Park, which did not bother me (although it probably bothered the British couple I tried to help with directions), but if you want a more specific route, try www.mapmyrun.com.

I do have to say that running has some disadvantages.  I don't know too many people who haven't had shin splints, stress fractures, runners' knee, or some other joint issue at some point in their running career. That said, I think it is worth it to give it a shot, but know your limits.  If you are just starting to run, perhaps rotate between running and walking and build your speed up slowly.  Or, you can be like me and never particularly go for speed.  See, no excuse to not workout at your next wedding.  Go take those cupcakes to the face.